Simple Silhouette Greeting Cards


Participating in craft challenges is a GREAT way to drag me out of any creative ruts I may be experiencing.  This month's theme is not only sustainable, but also monochromatic, defined as using only black, white and shades of gray.  



Julie @ Sum of their Stories - Monochrome Patchwork Bag DIY

Gail @ Purple Hues and Me - Monochrome Soda Bottle Goody Bag

Allyson @ Southern Sunflowers - Easy DIY Button Art on Canvas

T'onna @ Sew Crafty Crochet - Monochrome Crochet Scarves

Terri @ Our Good Life - Monochrome Watercolor Painting

and little ol' me!



Simple Silhouette Greeting Cards


Supply List

4" x 6" Envelopes

White and Black Cardstock

Paint Chip Cards in Gray

Paper Scraps

Monochrome, patterned Washi Tape

Glue

Cute Punches from Thrift Store

Scissors

Monochromatic.  Hmmm . . .   

My brain was completely blank at first.  Then I remembered being in first grade, posing for a silhouette.  My teacher, Miss Taylor, had each of us sit next to a wall with a bright light on one side of our face.  She patiently traced the outline of our shadow from the neck up onto construction paper.  Then she cut out and pasted each one onto a full sheet of construction paper.  Some were white on black, and others were black on white.  My classmates and I proudly gave them to our parents at Christmas!  That sweet gift from Miss Taylor to my parents is the inspiration behind today's project.

For sustainability, check out these punches purchased in a thrift store!



The $7 price tag is still on my adorable owl.



One time, a paint color decision was especially difficult, so the poor salesman handed me this swirl of paint chip cards and told me to keep it.  Poor guy!  In my defense, he had an entire drawer filled with them.  These are the perfect size for small punches!  A couple of gray ones were used.

I already have envelopes in my stash that measure 4 inches by 6 inches.  To fit nicely inside, cardstock was cut 3.5 inches by 11.5 inches, folded in half and set aside.  That's my base for the greeting cards.  Finished, they are about 3.5 by 5.75 inches.  Now for the fun part!  Creating!



Black and white cardstock scraps were cut into rectangles measuring 3" x 5".  These will be glued onto the greeting card bases mentioned above.


Next, the two thrift store punches were used on white cardstock, black cardstock, two gray paint chips and a random scrap of polka dot paper.  Then out came the glue!


The darling owl seemed awkward without a place to sit, so the branch was swiped for him, too!


For a project that felt daunting at first, I really enjoyed it!


These simple silhouette greeting cards will be flying off to friends with wishes of a Happy Autumn!

What have you been creating?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Doodle Hearts Collage

Friendsmas Fizzy Soaking Salts

Cultivating Autumn Arrangements