Wormwood


by Susan Wittig Albert



China Bayles travels with a friend to a Shaker Village living museum in Kentucky for an herbal seminar.  When there's a completely new cast of characters, I hesitate getting attached to any of them.  In any mystery series, something bad happens in each novel.  It's awful when someone disappears or dies just when I start liking them!  

Wormwood bounces between current times with the modern-day staff and what was happening with the actual Shaker community in 1912.  The author carefully pieces together bits of journals from the Shaker Brothers and Sisters to weave past daily struggles with modern ones.  China learns about the traditional healing methods of the early 1900's.  (This part of the book was especially interesting for me since herbs are a favorite hobby of mine, leading me to research more about plants I'm already growing.)  The museum's archives and artwork also reveal clues to an old, suspicious disappearance.  When one of the employees is found dead, clues are hard to come by.  Was this an accident or something sinister?  Wormwood may be my new favorite book of the series.  Once again, I

Could.  Not.  Put.  It.  Down.

What have you been reading?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Doodle Hearts Collage

Friendsmas Fizzy Soaking Salts

Growing a Garden Gnome